TMJ, also known as TMD, is one of the most painful issues patients can deal with. At Edisto Dental, we offer TMJ treatment in Orangeburg, SC that helps you eliminate the chronic pain and restore comfort in your life. This pain felt in your Temporomandibular joint, jaw, and face, affects nearly every part of your daily routine: eating, talking, and sleeping. There are a number of factors that could be causing this condition – together, we can determine if you have TMD and get you started with an effective treatment.
What is TMJ/TMD Exactly?
Temporomandibular Disorder (TMD) refers to pain associated with any movement of the temporomandibular joint, which is responsible for the opening, closing or shifting side-to-side of the mouth. Due to the significance of this joint, any disruption to the area is going to cause pain that can be felt in a number of ways. Some symptoms of TMJ may include:
- Headaches, neck aches, ear aches, or toothaches
- Pain or swelling in the jaw, neck, ear or shoulder area
- Jaw pain associated with opening/closing the mouth (including chewing, biting, etc)
- Popping noises when opening the mouth
- Soreness of mouth in the morning or late afternoon
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, you could be suffering from TMD. Contact our dentists and our Edisto Dental team to get a better understanding of your symptoms and begin an effective TMJ treatment for you.
Why Am I Experiencing TMJ?
Causes of TMJ Disorder are not all known. But, professionals estimate that over 10 million Americans suffer from this disorder. There can be a number of factors that lead to pain in this joint. The following are factors that can increase the chance of you experiencing pain in your jaw:
- Stress can cause you to tighten the jaw area and muscles surrounding it. This can cause unnecessary tension and pain in the jaw.
- Experiencing whiplash or injury that damages or causes a hard blow to the joint can result in long lasting pain and discomfort.
- Grinding your teeth is a habit that puts a large amount of pressure on the jaw joint and often results in pain around the area.
- Dislocation or movement between the ball and socket- like any joint, the movement required in the jaw area depends on a ball and socket system. When the ball and socket become separated or the lining in the socket wears off due to overuse, patient will experience a good amount of pain.
- Arthritis in the joint.
Our team is ready to assist you in determining the source of your pain and delivering effective treatment to help you be pain-free. We invite you to contact our Edisto Dental team to schedule a consultation, where we will learn more about the symptoms you are experiencing, as well as take a thorough look at the affected and surrounding areas.
In some cases, patients may need to work with additional professionals for a more comprehensive treatment of TMJ. For example, one of the treatments we provide is that of helping patients overcome TMJ that occurs due to bruxism habits. Bruxism, or the unconscious grinding or clenching of your teeth, can result in a number of uncomfortable conditions, including TMJ. Our team can work with you to overcome this habit by providing a device that will simply be placed in your ear at night to alert you when you begin to grind your teeth – thus immediately stopping the action and allowing you to eventually overcome the habit. This is one example of the kind of best-practice treatment that you can expect from our team. To learn more about this effective, state-of-the-art TMD aid in Orangeburg, SC, click here.
If you are suffering from TMD, contact us today and we’ll help you identify the source of your pain and deliver a treatment that will restore comfort. Let us be your dental solution for TMJ treatment in the Orangeburg area. Read more about all of our available, modern services.