Are you experiencing extreme discomfort and sensitivity in a particular tooth? Is it affecting your day-to-day life? Chances are you may need to undergo a root canal procedure to save your tooth and eliminate the pain. Drs. Jordan and Belk and their team at Edisto Dental provide the best treatment for root canals in Orangeburg, South Carolina. Schedule an appointment today and we’ll restore your tooth and get you back to enjoying your favorite food and drinks!
How Do I Know I Need Root Canal Therapy?
The pain experienced by patients needing a root canal is usually a sure sign that something needs to be done immediately. However, there are a number of symptoms patients could experience that would prompt a visit to see our dentists. The following are some common symptoms:
- Severe toothache when chewing or applying any kind of pressure
- Consistent sensitivity and pain associated with hot or cold temperatures – especially if it continues to be painful/sensitive after the temperature has been removed
- Darkening color of the tooth
- Swelling or tenderness of the gums near the tooth
- A recurring pimple on the gums
While these are common symptoms, there are cases where no symptoms are present. If you feel you may have an infected tooth and are experiencing discomfort, make an appointment with us today and receive the best root canal treatment in Orangeburg.
What Is a Root Canal Procedure?
A root canal procedure addresses infected and/or inflamed “pulp” which is found in the center of your tooth under the hardest part of your tooth. This infection or inflammation can occur due to a number of reasons:
- Deep decay in the tooth
- Repeated dental procedures on the same tooth
- Faulty crowns
- A crack or chip in the tooth
Once an infection has reached the pulp of your tooth this can lead to extreme pain and sensitivity. “Getting a root canal” is often referred to as one of the more unpleasant things to have to go through, when in reality, the actual root canal procedure is similar to getting a regular filling. The most discomfort felt by patients is often from the infection and inflammation experienced prior to getting treatment. The main purpose of the root canal procedure is to clean, disinfect and restore the tooth.
The following are the general main steps taken in a root canal procedure:
- Local anesthesia will be administered which will numb the tooth and help ensure our patients’ comfort.
- A small hole is drilled through the biting surface of the tooth allowing our dentists to have access to the inside of the tooth and root canals for treatment.
- The infected pulp is removed from the tooth with special instruments used to clean and disinfect the root canals where the pulp is located. Once this pulp is removed, the pain will be eliminated.
- The canals are then prepared to receive a replacement filling that will restore the tooth.
- A temporary or permanent filling material will be used to seal the hole in the top of the tooth.
- An antibiotic may be prescribed to continue to treat and/or prevent infection.
- After a designated amount of time, the patient will return to finish the process of permanent restoration with a filling or a crown. The restoration returns the tooth back to its original form and provides a complete seal over the top of the tooth.
Having an infected tooth can be one of the most uncomfortable things you can experience. Don’t live with the pain any longer – our team is ready to assist you in providing state of the art root canal treatment that will eliminate your discomfort and restore your tooth back to health. We invite you to contact our Edisto Dental team to ask any questions you may have about the procedure and to schedule an appointment with Drs. Jordan and Belk to get you in as soon as possible.
Get to know our dentists and the rest of our team – we are here to provide the best care for you and your family. Once you are proud of your healthy smile, you’ll be excited to show it off. Make sure your smile is as white and bright as possible- check out our whitening services here. For a complete list of our services, click here. We look forward to serving you!